Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Arranging "Stuff" on Shelves with Purpose

I'm having total writers block today. I have erased my intro 3 times. What the heck do I know?


Every time I start writing it begins to sound like I'm an expert, which I certainly am not! I wish I had the gift that some of you do to be funny or exciting when it comes to decorating. I'm just a girl who likes old stuff. I like to arrange it in my home. I like to collect it. 

Anyways. Let's just throw it out there today and look at pictures galore. That's what we really love, right? Seeing how other people are fluffing their nests!

 Today I got the urge to spruce up the dining room. It wasn't that bad, but the whole room was just a holding tank for other junk ever since Christmas. It needed to look purposeful.



My purpose in design today was to do an all neutral theme with some interesting textures. I incorporated a handful of browns and just a pinch of black with the mostly white color scheme. 

My other purpose was to use a few of the items I have for sale in my etsy shop. These items have not sold and I wanted to make sure they could be used and look good. You know, make sure my weird taste could possibly work for someone's decor. Also, I have a few new odds and ends I wanted to put in a place where I could display and enjoy them.

I got this old scale at a thrift shop two years ago. I forgot that I had it in the back of the bottom of this hutch. Kinda cool with the glass domes on it. I can't decide if I like them empty or not. I kinda do. It's simple, ya know?







These old wood finials had big screws sticking out of the bottom. I sat them on some antique light fixtures to give them a little more height.






I have two of these scroll-y wrought iron architectural pieces for sale in my shop. I think they look so interesting on bookshelves.


 You know I have a thing for old wire baskets!







 And chippy wooden chairs...




 These very timeworn old brushes are also for sale in my shop. I just think they have a neat industrial look to them.







 A Pillow cover made out of a real old flour sack. I bought this from another etsy seller who sews them herself. Man, I wish I could sew!


Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by for a visit!

Stay warm!

~Linsey





Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday

20 comments:

White Lace and Promises said...

A picture is worth more than a thousand words. I have the gift of gab but nothing like your gift of photography and design! Love!

Bonnie

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Linsey your hutch looks FABULOUS and I love the candlesticks on your table!!

Pamela said...

It all looks wonderful Lins! I still have Christmas laying all in our dining room.

Martha said...

I like your arrangements on the hutch. They work well together. And you have some neat things!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

LOVE the hutch! I'm a pushover for white pitchers!

chateau chic said...

I'm all about the pictures without so much "talk." Love the way you've styled your hutch in the dining room!!
Mary Alice

Unknown said...

Personally I love to look at pictures of others homes. Your hutch is fabulous. I love how you styled it. I especially love the scale. I have the perfect spot for that scale just in case you were thinking of selling it.

Tamms @ Amelie's Farmhouse said...

Sweet :) Love those candlesticks!!

Ivy and Elephants said...

I am in love with that flour sack. Your pics are amazing!

Paula

Unknown said...

Everything is lovely! I treally like the candle sticks and the wooden finials in the old light fixtures! Thanks for sharing your beautiful room :)

Blessings!
Sherri

Robin Johnson said...

LOL! I think we have all been there too! Your room is looking oh so pretty. I am in love with so many of the items you've used to decorate with it's made looking at your photos very enjoyable. Thanks.

Meg@OliverandRust said...

your room looks fantastic and that scale can come and live at my house if it needs a new home. i will take good care of it :)
i have seen those brushes advertised as floor cleaning brushes, not sure if that is true but just throwing it out there

Revi said...

Linsey, I love your style and I'm attracted to so many similar things! You should link this post up at Revisionary Life Thrifty Life Thursday today...
http://revisionarylife.blogspot.com/2014/01/thrifty-life-thursday-3.html
-Revi

Jillybarb said...

Wire baskets, chippy stuff, scales, flour sacks -- wow! It just doesn't get better. I love your stuff! I'm also just a (old) girl who like old stuff. You made me smile.

Revi said...

There is so much loveliness here, I don't think I could pick a favorite! The wire basket...the linen curtain...the ironstone...it all looks great together, too!

Amy Kinser said...

Hey Linsey. Love it all! Love that chippy white chair sitting to the side. Love your ironstone. Great stuff going on at your house.

Patty said...

Linsey, I don't think your tastes are weird. I think they're perfect! Love what you collect and enjoy seeing it all. I'm trying to find a hutch to display my pieces, but need something enclosed so the cats can't wander around amongst them and break things. I've lost too many goodies already from their lack of respect for my treasures!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I love everything about this, Linsey...great textures and wonderful pieces brought together perfectly! Beautiful eye candy!

Unknown said...

Very pretty and great texture with healthy doses of white -my favourite!

Revi said...

Hi Linsey,
You were featured this week at Revisionary Life Thrifty Life Thursday #4. :)
-Revi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...